Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A vandal has hit Tinian

There are two new buildings under construction at the top of the street we live on. This is the newest addition--although I'm not sure if this will be a home or a store of some kind.

Right next to it is the four-plex that has been under construction for some time.

Unfortunately, Tinian has a graffiti artist (he is really just a vandal) that has decided to share his work. He tagged several places as he walked down Broadway. Let's see: small island, silver spray paint, same name on each building tagged... shouldn't be too hard to figure out who this guy is! I can't wait to see him washing off the work he just did.




Additional work seems to be going on near the amphitheater. They have removed a lot of sod. I'm not sure is they are re-planting, or putting in parking.

One of the nice things about Tinian is that they have set-aside large open areas for parks.

As they work on the road near the dock, they are actually raising the level of the road. I can only assume they are doing this so that their drainage system flows properly all the way down.


They continue to install the drainage lines, which will end in a large drainage field down by the docks.

Although a large tree had to be removed from along the road in this location, they have kept the remains of this memorial near the elementary school.

The sky was beautiful today. The trade winds have been blowing for weeks, with little rain. A lot of the island is very dry.

Is it really that time of year again? So soon? I have also seen cars with speakers attached to the top... I guess it won't be long before we get to hear the speeches and see the parades. It should be an interesting year. The Tinian mayor is up for re-election, and so is the CNMI governor. Considering the state of the economy, and the impact of the new Federal takeover of the emigration system, it will be interesting to see what kind of 'promises' are made!

This is just one of the many wells that can be found around the island. Prior to the water system was installed, with the large water tanks on the hill, that provided gravity-fed water to the village, everyone had to come to a well for water.

For some reason, I saw a lot of animals today on my walk. There were chickens everywhere, and other animals roaming around.

Almost every field and road had chickens darting around

There were new batches of baby pigs

That will eventually grow this big...

or even bigger! This guy was my size (Only fatter, I hope)...

And I finally understood the age old question: why did the chicken cross the road...

it seems so obvious now...

I continue to discover remnants of the war scattered around the island.

Here is a home that has made an interesting claim...

this is the home of the 'Thunder Bird'.... does this mean that this is where Thunderbird wine is really made? well, I suppose he must have a famous fighting cock? I'm sure the locals know...

I also discovered these three brand-new kittens huddled together in the road. One had not even gotten its eyes open yet. I'm sure mom was close by somewhere, or was perhaps out hunting for food.

No comments: